HACKETTSTOWN, N.J., October 8, 2018 – Mars Wrigley Confectionery U.S. will announce 2019 confection aisle shelving guidelines and debut an exciting lineup of innovations for c-store retailers this week at the National Association of Convenience Stores (NACS) annual show in Las Vegas. Together, these insights and strategic new product launches are designed to drive c-store sales and total category growth.
“In 2016, we unveiled our best-in-class planogram based on intensive shopper research, and it consistently delivered an average of 4-6 percent growth compared to control store test or competitive test set,” said Tiffany Menyhart, VP of U.S. Category Leadership at Mars Wrigley Confectionery. “Since then, we’ve updated our recommendations based on new insights and we’re excited to see this new version continue to deliver positive category growth.”
Over the past year, Mars Wrigley Confectionery has invested in research to ensure its best-in-class planogram incorporated the most recent shopper behavior data. The extensive shopper-based research study met the customer in various stages of their journey to understand what influences their c-store purchases. The updated shelving guidelines incorporate key findings from this research and the end result is a comprehensive set of recommendations that deliver proven solutions for retailers.
“Over 50 percent of all confectionery purchases are decided in-stores,” said Jim Dodge, VP C-Store Channel at Mars Wrigley Confectionery. “But only 30 percent of shoppers walk down the confectionery aisle, and when they do, they only stop for a short time. With this in mind, Mars Wrigley Confectionery has made key updates to the shelving principles focused on attracting c-store visitors to the confections aisle and ensure they can easily find what they want.”
Continuously improving the shopper experience is a top priority for Mars Wrigley Confectionery. The company is embarking on a strategic multi-store test to revamp the full confectionery aisle in partnership with a large national c-store retailer. Early results indicate positive category growth with the full results being delivered in 2019.
Additionally, according to the 2018 Trade Advantage survey, the company was ranked No. 1 in category development across all CPG. The confectionery leader will also have new products on display that play on longstanding, fan-favorite confections and bring new, relevant flavors to surprise and delight consumers. These new products include SNICKERS® Creamy, which features almond butter, peanut butter and maple almond butter, M&M’S® White Chocolate Peanut and M&M’S® Hazelnut Spread.
The following are items that Mars Wrigley Confectionery will feature at the show:
- 3 Musketeers® Birthday Cake: 3 MUSKETEERS® will be launching the brand’s first new flavor in six years―Birthday Cake. The candy bar features a vanilla-flavored nougat and colorful sprinkles covered in rich milk chocolate. Birthday Cake is a growing trend with sales increasing in the flavor more than 29 percent since 2017 and a 260 percent increase in trend engagement among millennials in the same time period. Available in Walmart beginning October 2019 and nationally January 2019.
- COMBOS® Jalapeno Cheddar: New in 2019, COMBOS® is nationally launching Jalapeño Cheddar. Jalapeño Cheddar is a consumer favorite with proven market success. The combination of cheesy goodness plus a mix of spice inside a baked tortilla shell is sure to excite consumers’ taste buds.
- M&M’S® Hazelnut Spread Chocolate Candies: M&M’S® Hazelnut Spread Chocolate Candies is the newest M&M’S® variety launching in April 2019 and features a creamy hazelnut center, covered by delicious milk chocolate, and wrapped in the brand’s signature colorful candy shell. M&M’S® Hazelnut Spread will be available nationwide in April 2019 in Singles (1.35 oz.), Share Size (2.53 oz.) and Sharing Size Stand Up Pouch (8.3 oz.).
- M&M’S® Bars: M&M’S® is launching its new bars in five delicious flavors, each consisting of smooth milk chocolate and M&M’S® Minis throughout a molded tablet bar format. The combination delivers a distinctive multi-textural sensory taste experience and will be available nationwide starting in December 2018. Chocolate lovers should try all five varieties: Peanut (3.9 oz.), Milk Chocolate (4.0 oz.), Crispy (3.8 oz.), Almond (3.9 oz.), and Crispy Mint (3.8 oz.).
- M&M’S® White Chocolate Peanut: M&M’S® White Chocolate Peanut is made of peanuts surrounded by delicious white chocolate and a candy shell. Building off of the success of M&M’S® White Chocolate, the product will launch in September 2018, in three pack types to fit everyone’s needs: Singles, Share Size, and Sharing SUP. ($0.99-$3.39)
- ORBIT® Freeze Mint: ORBIT® Freeze Mint gum is packed with intense arctic freshness and an icy-cool flavor, leaving your mouth feeling clean. (December 2018, $0.73 for a 1.10-oz. Singles Pack and $1.99 for a 3.58-oz. Multipack)
- SKITTLES® Darkside: SKITTLES® Darkside contains a delicious mix of mysterious, dark fruit flavors inspired by the other side of the Rainbow. SKITTLES® Darkside flavors include Dark Berry, Black Cherry, Forbidden Fruit, Blood Orange, and Midnight Lime. (January 2019, $0.99 for a 1.76-oz. Single Pack and $1.79 for a 4-oz. Share Size and $3.19 for a 14-oz. Laydown Bag)
- Creamy SNICKERS®: SNICKERS® is launching new bars in December 2018 that will feature everything fans love about SNICKERS®―caramel and a milk chocolate coating―but now filled with creamy fresh ground nut butters including Almond Butter, Peanut Butter and Maple Almond Butter.
- SNICKERS® Sweet & Salty: In June 2018, SNICKERS® debuted three new bold, limited edition flavors―Espresso, Fiery and Salty & Sweet. The new flavors feature peanuts and caramel covered in milk chocolate, but with a flavor twist―espresso, chili pepper or salt-infused. Each flavor has a hunger symptom on the outside of the packaging that relates to the flavor of the bar―Espresso: Irritable; Salty & Sweet: Indecisive; Fiery: Wimpy. SNICKERS® Salty & Sweet variety will be a permanent addition to the SNICKERS®
- STARBURST® Duos: Duos delivers your favorite flavors in a unique two-in-one combination. STARBURST® Duos is sure to leave your taste buds bursting with a fruity flavor combination. STARBURST® Duos Fruit Chews will be available in Strawberry Watermelon and Blue Raspberry Lemonade flavors. (January 2019, Chews: $0.99 for a 2.07-oz. Single Pack and $3.19 for 14-oz. Laydown Bag.)
- TWIX® TRIPLE CHOCOLATE: TWIX® TRIPLE CHOCOLATE is a unique cookie experience with new chocolate cookie bars and chocolate caramel cloaked in milk chocolate for three times the chocolate goodness. Chocolate fans will love its texture and crunch. (December 2018, $1.69-$1.79)
For details, retailers can contact Mars Wrigley Confectionery representatives and visit www.marspresskit.com. If you are attending the NACS show, please stop by booth 2609.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles—Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom—inspire its more than 85,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day. For more information, please visit www.mars.com. Join us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.
MARS WRIGLEY CONFECTIONERY
Mars Wrigley Confectionery is the world’s leading manufacturer of chocolate, chewing gum, mints, and fruity confections. Once the planned worldwide integration of the Mars Chocolate and Wrigley businesses is complete, Mars Wrigley Confectionery will employ over 30,000 Associates globally and have operations in approximately 70 countries. Headquartered in Chicago, Mars Wrigley Confectionery will distribute its world-famous brands including M&M’s®, Snickers®, Twix®, Skittles® and Orbit® in more than 180 countries.
 Path to Purchase – Drivers & Drainers Study, 2016 (n = 97 C-Store Confectionery Shoppers); Q18: WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING BEST DESCRIBES YOUR PURCHASE? (CHOOSE ONLY ONE)
 C-Store Foundational Research 2017